Ingredients (makes 12)
Self raising flour 5oz
Caster sugar 5oz
Butter or margarine 5oz
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1-2 tablespoon of milk
If you want you can add a drop of food colouring to the mixture if want some coloured cake.
Decorations for cupcake – icing, sprinkles, etc.
If you want icing, you can either buy it ready made in the supermarket, or you can make yourself.
To make buttercream icing you will need:
Icing sugar 10oz
1-2 table spoons of milk
A few drops of food colouring
Piping bag and nozzle
What equipment will I need?
Baking tray (I needed 2 to fit them on)
Paper cupcake cases
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. First add the butter and sugar in together, mixing them together.
3. Beat in the eggs a bit at a time, with the butter and sugar, and put the teaspoon of vanilla extract in too.
4. Fold the flour into the mixture.
5. Add the tablespoon of milk. I put a tiny drop of food colouring in here too.
6. Spoon in the paper cases with mixture. I only fill them up 1/2 of the way, as they will rise.
7. Put them in the oven approximately 15 minutes, or until golden brown. (In my fan oven they were ready at 12 minutes)
8. Once out of the oven, let them cool before decorating.
10. With the cupcakes I made this time, I added swirly buttercream to the top of them, a paper wafer butterfly, and some pink and cream sprinkly balls.
I also put a spider ring on top of a couple of them, great for Halloween or just for fun.
I used ready made buttercream, but this is how to do it –
1. Mix the icing sugar a little at a time with the butter.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of milk until creamy soft (add a little more if needed).
3. Add a drop or two to the icing and stir until combined.
4. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle, and pipe the icing onto the cupcakes in a spiral motion.
Eat, share and enjoy!