First Tastes For Baby
My little girl is approaching 6 months old.
Advice from health visitor said I could have started baby weaning from 17 weeks old (4 months), but I didn’t feel she was ready.
The NHS guidelines are from 6 months.
Cerys will be 6 months in a week or so, and I feel she is now ready.
She has had little licks of yogurt, and sucking on watermelon and apple (in the nuby nibbler we have – its a has a handle, and a net on the other end to put fruit or vegetables in)
I’m going to start with sweet potato.
What do I need?
1 sweet potato
2 tablespoons of breast milk or infant formula
Water (just enough to cover the sweet potato in the saucepan)
Colander / sieve
Sharp cutting knife
Fork to mash purée or a blender
1. Wash and peel the sweet potato
2. Cut it into small chunks
3. Boil the kettle
4. Place them in a saucepan and cover with boiling water.
5. Bring to the boil then simmer for a further 30 minutes or until soft.
6. Drain the water
7. Mash / purée the sweet potato using fork or blender. Add in the milk at the same time. Can use 2 tablespoons of water instead of milk.
Once they get use to the taste, you can add a pinch of cinnamon in at this point.
8. You can freeze the extra left overs in little pots with lids or ice cube trays.